Lai Mohammed, the minister of information and culture, says President Muhammadu Buhari will decide the fate of the ministers who declared interest in elective offices but later backed out after being asked to resign.
Mohammed said this on Wednesday, May 18, while briefing journalists after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting in Abuja.
President Buhari had earlier asked all members of his cabinet seeking elective offices to resign on or before Monday, May 16.
The ministers include:
- Rotimi Amaechi
- Godswill Akpabio
- Timipre Sylva
- Chris Ngige
- Uche Ogah
- Ogbonnaya Onu
- Pauline Tallen
- Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba.
Following the president’s directive, some ministers had tendered their resignation while the president subsequently met with the outgoing cabinet members. However, after the meeting, Abubakar Malami, attorney-general of the federation (AGF), withdrew from the 2023 Kebbi governorship race.
When asked what will happen to the ministers, Lai Mohammed said he will seek Buhari’s position on the development.
“The other question about ministers returning or not going, I think you need to give me more time so that I can tell you exactly what the situation is.
“Right now, I need to cross-check. I need to confirm again from Mr president what the situation is. You see the final decision on who is going, who’s coming back, who’s not going lies with Mr president.”