Several senatorial aspirants have withdrawn from the ongoing Peoples Democratic Party, PDP primary elections.
- Dr. Tony Nwoye, the senatorial aspirant for Anambra North
- Dr. Obiora Chira, House of Representatives aspirant for Oyi/Ayamelum Federal Constituency
- Hon (Engr) Idu Emeka, House of Representatives aspirant for Onitsha North/South Federal Constituency,
In a letter, the aspirants listed six reasons they would no longer participate in the primary elections.
Below are the following reasons:
(1)Under your watch PDP is purportedly conducting ward congress for the election of 3 Adhoc delegates this afternoon,25th May 2022 at Women Development Centre Awka instead of the 99 wards in the Anambra North zone, without any single party register, no quorum formed leading to the disenfranchisement of thousands of PDP ward members. This violates Article 1(b)(iii) of the PDP Guideline and Article 15(4) of the PDP Constitution
(2)A situation where until 1 pm today,25th May 2022, the panel to conduct the said 3 Adhoc delegates election has not been published, Party members came out yesterday,24th of May 2022, waited from morning till night, no ward congress took place and no communication to our teeming party members as to why the ward congress did not hold on 24th May 2022 and why the ward congress of 25th May 2022 is not holding at 99 wards of Anambra North District DESPITE THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO SECURITY CHALLENGE AT THE WARDS OF ANAMBRA NORTH SENATORIAL ZONE.
Everything concerning the primary process is shrouded in secrecy.
(3)Your leadership refused to issue 7 days’ notice to INEC for rescheduled 3 Adhoc congresses so as to give undue advantage to your selected aspirants contrary to Article 1.12 of INEC Guideline.
(4) It is obvious that the Party under your watch is deliberately violating all these laid down procedures to enable your humble self and National Organising Secretary (Uma Bature) to handpick candidates for various positions in our Senatorial District.
(5) It is repugnant to equity, natural justice, and fair play to allow your favored Senatorial aspirants to nominate all the electoral panels and appeal panels who will keep original result sheets at Abuja and come to Anambra State with photocopies and no reprimand from your leadership against such ignoble practice till date.
(6)Tragedy has befallen PDP under your leadership to the extent that your favored Senatorial aspirants will appoint their cronies, and domestic staff as electoral panel committee and they will still not allow the election to take place.